September 30, 2009

Wheels b/w Am I asking too much by The String-a-longs (London HLU 9278)


The easiest way to extend the record collection was to save up for the two yearly discount sales periods. Early 1965 I searched the bargain bins for the first time during the winter sale. I found this instrumental, which had been a hit in 1961 in the version of the Billy Vaughn Orchestra, but it wasn't until years later I found out this was actually the American hit version. I bought it as it was one of the first tunes I learned to play on guitar. The flipside was a vocal tune: a strange mix between Buddy Holly and Cliff Richard. As this record originally came in a company sleeve I had to fabricate a picture sleeve from a later cd release for display purposes. In an era that was dominated by Fender guitars by (mainly) instrumental groups the use of a Gibson Les Paul Special "TV" by one of the guitar players is remarkable. The picture sleeve below is a Dutch re-release with a different B-side.
Rating: ***




No comments:

Post a Comment