October 2, 2009

I want to hold your hand EP (extended play) by The Beatles (Odeon MOE 3746)


I fell in love with The Beatles when I heard "I want to hold your hand" for the first time late 1963. But not having a record player buying records seemed a silly thing to do. In the spring of 1965 the single wasn't available in the shops anymore, but there was this French import EP (7 inch record with four tracks) available. Not strictly speaking a single, but always good value as the price was less than double of that of a single. EP's also always came in wonderful picture sleeves in cardboard covers like mini-albums. This one contained
I want to hold your hand
It won't be long
I wanna be your man
Till there was you
Pity they didn't replace "I wanna be your man" with the original flipside of the single "This boy" as "Man" is one of the weakest Beatles songs (and mainly sung by Ringo, clearly the least of the four vocalists). But "It won't be long" was The Beatles at their best with those almost hysterical "yeah yeah" questions & answers between John (who did the lead vocal) and Paul & George. It remains one of my favourite Beatles songs of all time, so to play it just after "I want to hold your hand" was always a joy. "Till there was you" was a good opportunity to prove to my parents The Beatles could really sing and play.
Rating: *****

No comments:

Post a Comment