September 25, 2009

If I fell b/w And I love her by The Beatles (Parlophone HHR 130)



My first single late 1964: If I fell b/w And I love her by The Beatles. In the USA this coupling was reversed it seems, but it was a close call. Two beautiful ballads, John's If I fell and Paul's And I love her. A good way of sneaking some beat music into the house without complaints from my parents. This was at #1 at the time. It was the third part of a trilogy that small company Stibbe released in identical picture sleeves with different supporting colours: A hard day's night - Things we said today in red, I should have known better - Tell me why in green and If I fell - And I love her in blue. This series of three became collector's items as If I fell was the last Beatles single to be released under the monicker of Parlophone-Stibbe. Big record company Bovema had obtained the distribution rights of EMI records and they put their name on the sleeves of the next releases (I think Bovema bought Stibbe and the old Mr Henk Stibbe, 80 by then, retired).
Rating: *****

No comments:

Post a Comment