October 25, 2009

Love is strange b/w Man with money by The Everly Brothers (Warner Bros WB 5649)


The Everly Brothers were the first to stir my interest in pop music. "Till I kissed you" in 1959 cemented my love for harmony vocals. Although The Beatles never mentioned them as an influence I always thought they were heavily influenced by the Everly's. "Love me do" sounded like a rejected Everly track to me when I first heard it and the Fab Four's "yeah yeah" seemed like a straight cop from "Temptation" to me. The brothers kept making good records, but they also recorded a lot of schmaltz like "Ebony Eyes". In the mid-Sixties they released a trio of fabulous singles: "That'll be the day", "The Price of love" and "Love is strange". I bought the latter, mainly because it had such a great B-side in "Man with money", which later became part of The Who's repertoire. They also released three very good albums around the same time: "Rock 'n Soul", "Beat & Soul" and "Two Yanks In England". But then they came up with "Its all over" and they sounded old hat again.
Rating: ****

No comments:

Post a Comment