November 24, 2009

Lucille b/w Now decide by The Rivets (Star-Club Records 148 510 STF)


During the summer sale of 1965 I was on holiday abroad and ultimately ended up in a department store in the city of Lörrach in the south of Germany where they had a discount record sale. The Germans were really slow in following trends in those days. I wanted to buy the latest Beatles single "Help!" which had been a number one when I left home, but it hadn't even been released in Germany yet! I went back to the camping with a cheap "live" LP by a group called The Ravers full of covered 1963/1964 hits and a single by German group The Rivets. The latter cost me just one Deutschmark and it contained a nice version of Little Richard's "Lucille" done Everly Brothers style, but more "beat". And it was of course on the Star-Club label, which I associated with The Beatles in their Hamburg-days.
The Ravers later turned out to be a group called The Tonics, who used the pseudonym to record for the cheapo TIP label. Amazingly the LP I bought in 1965 (and which I later bought again for a huge sum in order to digitize it) was released on cd: "Twist mit den Ravers"!
Rating: **

No comments:

Post a Comment