March 25, 2014

"I Believe My Time Ain't Long" b/w "Rambling Pony" by Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac (CBS 3051)

I loved the first Fleetwood Mac album, mainly because of Peter Green's contributions. So when I stumbled upon Mac's first single I immediately bought it. Strange sensation: "I believe my time ain't long" was "Dust my broom" revisited and "Rambling Pony" was a carbon copy of "Rollin' and Tumblin'". Little did I know at the time of Elmore James' numerous re-recordings for different companies of "Dust my broom"(Dust my blues, I believe, etc.) nor of the use of Hambone Willie Newbern's "Roll and Tumble Blues" by just about everyone from Robert Johnson ("If I had possession over judgment day") to Cream ("Rollin' and Tumblin'"). But this was not the debut people had expected from the new band of a guitarist who had audiences spellbound with his extended solos, no Green-fretwork to be heard here. Great harmonica playing by the Green God on the flipside, though. The A-side featured Jeremy Spencer in a 12-bar he would re-record with different titles about ten times ("My heart beat like a hammer", "Doctor Brown", "I need your love tonight", etc.).
Notice the band was billed as "PETER GREEN's Fleetwood Mac", much to Green's dismay.
Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment