March 8, 2010

You really got me b/w It's alright by The Kinks (Pye 7 N 15673)


I missed this one when it originally came out, somewhere in the summer of 1964 as I wasn't buying records yet. Obtaining an "envelope" copy became harder and harder over the years. Recently saw a documentary about British heavy metal on the BBC and this was mentioned as the beginning of heavy metal. Well, the riff is unmistakably heavy, but to call this metal? I never understood the comparison between You really got me and Louie Louie: the riffs are so far apart that a comparison is hardly possible. Louie Louie hasn't even got a real "riff" in the correct sense, it's more of a chord progression. I guess it was Ray Davies himself who mentioned the influence of Louie Louie on You really got me, but he also explained that the latter started out as a jazzy song. It was Dave's messing with his speakers (he used to cut little tears in them with a razor blade) that made the sound of this record.
Rating: *****

Pwd: bombersongs

No comments:

Post a Comment